Changing the look of your Home screen, alerts for new messages, or the size of your display font gives your BlackBerry smartphone a touch of personalization. With so many customization options available, your BlackBerry smartphone becomes one of a kind! In this week’s Five Tip Friday, we’ll provide you with some ideas for personalizing your BlackBerry smartphone.
1. Change your ringtones, notifications and alerts
Did you know that you can change your ringtones, notifications and alerts to add audible personalization to your smartphone? For example, you can use a song you’ve saved to your smartphone as a ringtone for calls.
My wife sends me pictures of our young daughter while I’m at work; these pictures often become the wallpaper on my smartphone so I can see her smiling face every time I use my device. You can easily add pictures you capture, receive or download to your device as a Home screen picture using the following steps:
1. From the Home screen, select the “Pictures” icon and then view a picture 2. Press the Menu key and select “Set As Wallpaper”.
The idea of changing the display font or the displayed font size as a customization is often overlooked by my friends and family. When I show them all the fonts they have to choose from, they soon realize that a simple font change can change the look and feel of their Home screen, message folders and other sections of their device. To change the font on your device, choose the steps for the BlackBerry OS you are using:
BlackBerry 6 & BlackBerry 7 OS
1. From the Home screen, select the “Options” icon 2. Select “Display” followed by “Screen Display” 3. In the Font section, select a display font and/or display font settings 4. Press the Menu key and select “Save”.
BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 and below
1. From the Home screen select the “Options” icon 2. Select “Screen/Keyboard” 3. Select a display font and/or display font settings 4. Press the Menu key and select “Save”.
4. Create personalized folders
If you have a BlackBerry smartphone that uses BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later, you can add new folders to your Home screen. To add a new folder on your Home screen:
1. From the Home screen, press the Menu key and select “Add Folder” 2. Select an icon by selecting the folder 3. Type a name for the folder followed by selecting “Add”.
5. Device Shortcuts
Have a BlackBerry 6 or BlackBerry 7 OS smartphone? Using the menu option “Add to Home Screen”, you can create a shortcut on your Home screen for quick access in the future. Do this for frequently accessed websites, contacts, files (.pdf for example) and more.
Adding a shortcut is easy! For example, this is how you would add a contact to the Home screen:
1. Open the Contacts app and highlight a contact 2. Press the Menu key and select “Add to Home Screen”.
To remove the any icons that you may have added to your Home screen, complete the following steps:
1. Highlight the icon on your Home screen 2. Press the Menu key and select “Delete”.
Check out the list below to see other items you might want to add to your Home screen as an icon:
Bonus Tip: Themes!
For the ultimate in BlackBerry smartphone personalization, get yourself a theme from the BlackBerry App World storefront. You can find themes by launching BlackBerry App World on your device. Select the Themes icon followed by selecting one of the promoted themes or by selecting one of the provided categories.
functioning of the site, while others are to help us understand how you use it. Read more here about our cookies, and how you can