The PRIV’s equipped with a pretty great camera, capable of taking some pretty awesome shots – you already know this. What you might not know is that you’ve actually a great deal of freedom in terms of how you use that camera. For instance, did you know that there are multiple video recording modes available to you?
Today, we’re going to go over the different ways you can record video on your PRIV – and the different things you can do with that video once recorded.
Recording a video: The basics
To record a video with your PRIV’s front-facing camera:
- Open the PRIV’s camera app, then tap MODE and
- You can zoom in or zoom out by sliding your fingers together or apart on the touchscreen, respectively.
- You can also turn the video light on or off by tapping in the top left corner.
- Recording settings can be accessed by tapping and opening the Settings menu.
- We will discuss this more later in our tutorial.
- For now, you can tap to start recording, and take a photo while recording by tapping
- Tip: You can also start and stop recording with the Volume key.
- To stop recording, tap
After capturing a video, go to your preferred Photos\Video app to view the recording, or use the Peek option described further down post.
How to record in slow-motion
You can also record slow-motion video with your camera, to capture those especially epic (or serene) moments:
- While in the Camera app, tap MODE and then tap
- Tap the button in the center of the screen to start recording.
- Stop recording with the button
How to customize the framerate of your video camera
Depending on what type of scene you want to capture, you can modify the framerate and quality of your PRIV’s video in a number of ways. For action shots, 60 frames per second is the best choice. 30 frames, meanwhile, is suited to professional-looking video, while 24 frames is better for film-like video. You can also change the resolution/quality of your videos – 4k, 1080p, or 720p.
To see the different customization options you can choose from:
- Tap at the top right corner of your screen, then tap Settings.
- Scroll down to the Video Resolutions / Frame Rates option, and tap the box next to it to open a dropdown menu.
- Tap your Video Resolution / Frame Rate of choice.
- Note: When using 4K, you can select 24, or 30 frames per second only
- You can also enable Enhanced Video Stabilization to reduce shakiness in your recordings.
- If you scroll down again, you can also add Grid lines to your camera, allowing you to frame your videos more effectively.
Peeking at your latest video
Want to see if your latest video turned out the way you wanted it to? Tap and hold the thumbnail of it that appears at the bottom of the screen once you’ve finished recording to preview the video.
Finally, you can share a video in one of two ways:
- From the photos app, tap the video you want to share, then tap the icon
- From the camera app, hold your finger over the thumbnail, then drag it to the icon
Any questions we didn’t address in the blog? Let us know in the comments!
To learn about PRIV or troubleshoot an issue, there are several great options available to help. Visit http://blackberry.com/privsupport for access to product documentation, how-to demos, tips and tricks, YouTube videos, support forums, knowledge base articles, Twitter support, and contact information for your region.