It’s always nice to make things your own! So why not your PRIV?
Here are five tips that you can use to add your personal touch to your PRIV.
- How to change your font size
- How to change your ringtone & default notification sound
- Add widgets and shortcuts to your home screen
- BlackBerry Launcher application view listing
- Owner details and info
How to change your font size
Small, Normal, Large, or Huge?
There’s a font size for everyone so follow the steps below to try out the four different options.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen once using two fingers, or twice using one finger.
- Tap Settings > Display > Font size.
- Tap the text size that you want to use: Small, Normal, Large, or Huge
How to change your ringtone & default notification sound
PRIV comes with a variety of preloaded ringtones, notification sounds, and also provides the ability to use a custom ringtone. To view the listing of preloaded tones, complete the following steps:
- Tap Settings > Sound & notification
- Complete one of the following:
- Tap Phone ringtone
- Tap Default notification ringtone
- Note: If prompted, select Media Storage and tap Always
- Tap on the various preloaded sounds followed by tapping Ok
If you want to use your favorite song as a ringtone you can do so by placing an MP3 copy of the song in the Ringtones folder within your device memory. You will need to install a file manager from Google Play™ first, or use your computer to move the file.
For more information on setting a custom ringtone check out tip 5 in our Five Tip Friday – PRIV Sound & notification.
Add widgets and shortcuts to your home screen
You can add widgets and shortcuts to your home screen. A widget is like a mini-app that shows you relevant information on your home screen without having to open the app. For example, I have a BBM widget that shows my recent chats right on my home screen!
There are a variety of shortcuts for tasks such as adding a note or quickly composing an email. One tap is all it takes to open the Hub and start composing a new email or adding a note:
To add a widget or shortcut to your home screen:
- Tap All apps icon
- Tap Widgets or Shortcuts
- Press and hold down on a widget or shortcut then release your finger once the home screen appears
- You may be prompted to set up a specific short cut (for example, an email contact shortcut may require you to choose which contact you wish to email)
Change the BlackBerry Launcher view
The BlackBerry Launcher offers four ways to view your listing of applications. The default view will show the 10 most frequently used apps on your device in the top two rows, followed by an alphabetical listing.
To try out a different view complete the following:
- While viewing your home screen, tap the All Apps icon
- In the top right corner, below the gear icon, tap Default
- Note: If you have a different view selected it will appear here instead of Default
- Tap on Alphabetical, Newest, or Most Used
Update owner details & add owner info
This is the final touch to emphasize that your PRIV is yours and only yours is completing the owner fields. The first area to complete is your ‘account’ on PRIV as shown in the following image;
The second is adding your name, and contact details so it appears on your lock screen.
- Tap Settings> Security > Owner info
- Select the Show owner info on lock screen checkbox
- Type your name or the message you want to display on the lock screen.
Got a question? Leave a comment and let me know!
To learn about PRIV or troubleshoot an issue, there are several great options available to help. Visit http://blackberry.com/privsupport for access to product documentation, how-to demos, tips and tricks, YouTube videos, support forums, knowledge base articles, Twitter support, and contact information for your region.