You can quickly perform a number of tasks when you type certain commands on the home screen on your BlackBerry Q10. For example, some of the shortcuts you can use are:
- Make a call – Type “call contacts name” or “call phone number”
- Send an email – Type “email contacts name” or “email email address”
- Send a text message – Type “text contacts name” or “text phone number”
- Start a BBM chat – Type “BBM contacts name”
- Update your Facebook status – Type “Facebook status update”
- Post a tweet – Type “tweet tweet”
- Post a LinkedIn update – Type “LinkedIn status update”
- Add a note to BlackBerry Remember – Type “note note details”
- Add a task to BlackBerry Remember – Type “task task details”
2. Easily insert symbols such as ® and ™
Looking to insert some symbols? All you need to do is press and hold a key at which point a dialog will appear with symbols. For example, holding R will display an option to select the registered mark, ®, along the bottom of the screen.
3. Hold 0 for Voice Control
The Voice Control app can make multitasking easier by allowing you to perform a variety of actions and tasks with your voice. To use Voice Control, you can open the Voice Control app, press and hold the Mute key or, my preferred method, press and hold 0.
To learn more, when Voice Control is open tap on the “i” that appears next to “What would you like to do?” and you’ll be able to review a list of the various actions with examples of how to use them.
4. Customize your Automated Assistance Options
Make sure you review the Prediction and Correction options that can be found within the Language and Input menu. Within this screen you’ll be able to customize several options that can help you type faster. For example, you can turn on Prediction Display which will cause your device to suggest words as you type. To try this feature out, complete the steps below and make sure you review the Help app to learn more about these options if needed.
- While viewing your Home screen, tap Settings
- Tap Language and Input followed by Prediction and Correction
- Turn on Show Predictions
5. Text Selection and Cut, Copy and Paste To help manage text, here are a few important things you should know!
- Cursor Indicator – Drag the cursor, or tap left, right, up or down on the cursor itself to move it to a specific location.
- Selecting Text – Touch and hold the text, then move the cursor indicators to change your selection.
- Copying Text – Tap and hold the highlighted text and select Copy
- Cutting Text – Tap and hold the highlighted text and select Cut
- Pasting Text – Touch and hold where you want the text and select Paste
Got a question or tip? Leave a comment and let me know!
To learn about a feature on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone or troubleshoot an issue, there are several great options available to help. Visit http://www.blackberry.com/support for access to product manuals, how-to demos, tips and tricks, YouTube videos, support forums, knowledge base articles, Twitter support, and contact information for your region.