Please note that beginning September 19, 2012, BlackBerry® smartphone users will not be able to download, install and/or use and/or receive support for the AOL® Instant Messenger™ (AIM) for BlackBerry® smartphones.
In order to continue sending and receiving AIM instant messages on your BlackBerry smartphone, you may be interested in a new AIM service for BlackBerry smartphones – AIM for BlackBerry® built by AOL, which includes new capabilities such as staying connected with your AIM Buddies and Facebook® Chat with friends while on the go.
To help you prepare for this change, here’s a quick two-step guide on how to identify and remove AOL Instant Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones, followed by installing AIM for BlackBerry built by AOL so you can have uninterrupted access to AOL Instant Messaging services.
Step 1: Identify and remove AOL Instant Messenger for BlackBerry Smartphones
Before we begin, you will need to know which version of the BlackBerry® Device Software you are currently using, so if you’re not sure visit our post on how to identify BlackBerry Device Software versions before proceeding further.
With that covered, let’s begin by removing AOL Instant Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones, followed by installing AIM for BlackBerry built by AOL.
1. On your BlackBerry smartphone, select Options
2. The next step depends on what version of BlackBerry Device Software you’re running, so complete the appropriate one:
- If your smartphone is running BlackBerry Device Software 4.1 to 4.7, go to “Options” > “Advanced Options” > “Applications”.
- If your smartphone is running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0, go to “Options > Applications > then select “Third Party”.
- If your smartphone is running BlackBerry® 6 to BlackBerry® 7.1 OS, go to “Options” > “Device” > “Application Management”.
3. Highlight the AOL Instant Messenger application, then press the Menu key and select “Delete”. If promoted to restart, select “Restart Now”.
4. AOL Instant Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones has been successfully removed.
Step 2: Installing AIM for BlackBerry built by AOL
Assuming you have removed AOL Instant Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones, follow the steps below to install AIM for BlackBerry built by AOL, which you’ll find on the BlackBerry App World™ storefront.
Note: In the event you don’t have BlackBerry App World installed, visit the BlackBerry App World website and select “Download BlackBerry App World for your smartphone”.
1. On your BlackBerry smartphone, open BlackBerry App World
2. Complete one of the following actions:
a. Press the Menu key, select “Scan a Barcode” and scan the barcode that’s listed below.
b. Perform a search for “AIM”, select “Apps” followed by selecting “AIM” from the listing.
3. Click “Download” and enter your device password if prompted.
4. If prompted, select “Restart Now” to complete the installation process.
After the installation is complete, launch the new AIL for BlackBerry built by AOL, sign in and continue chatting with friends, family, co-workers and more!
Got a question about the discontinuation of AOL Instant Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones? Leave a comment and let me know!