A lot of BlackBerry® smartphone users are unaware of the nifty little File Explorer that is built into their device! Using the File Explorer is a great way of managing music, videos, pictures and documents on your BlackBerry smartphone – it’s much like viewing your device memory or media card on your computer when using Mass Storage mode. Today I’m going to show you how you can access the File Explorer and what you can do with it!
Before we begin, if you don’t know which version of BlackBerry® Device Software you are currently using, click here to determine which set of instructions you will need to follow.
BlackBerry Device Software v5.0
To move, copy and paste files using BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0:
1. Go to your Media Folder, press the menu key and select Explore.
2. Select Device Memory or Media Card, followed by selecting the BlackBerry folder.
3. Find the file you wish to Move or Copy, highlight it, press the menu key and choose Move or Copy.
4. Next, you will need to select a location to Move or Copy the file to. You will see the current location at the top (Media Card/BlackBerry in our case); however, if you want to select a folder within this location, click on it. If you want to choose another location, click Up to go to the next level in the folder tree.
5. Once you find the location you’d like to move your file to, press the menu key and choose Move Here or Copy Here.
To move, copy and paste files using BlackBerry 6:
1. Go to your Media Folder or Tray, press the menu key and choose Explore.
2. Select Device or Media Card, followed by selecting the BlackBerry folder.
3. Find the file you wish to copy, highlight it and press the menu key. Choose Cut or Copy.
4. Browse to the location in which you wish to Move or Copy your file, press the menu key and select Paste to place the file in this location.
You can also use the File Explorer to hide or unhide files and folders. Simply find the file or folder you wish to hide, highlight it, press the menu key and choose “Properties”. Place a check mark in the “Hidden” box to hide the file/folder. If you’re looking for a hidden folder, from any screen in the File Explorer, press the menu key and choose “Show All”. All hidden items will appear as faded or “grayed out”. If you want to unhide one of these files, highlight it, press the menu key and choose “Properties”. Uncheck the “Hidden” check box to unhide the item. Hidden items will not appear within your main Pictures, Music or Videos applications from the Home Screen, but can be viewed or opened using the file explorer.
What do you use the File Explorer for on your BlackBerry smartphone? Leave a comment and let us know!