On March 31st and April 1st the BlackBerry Support Community Forums hosted a BlackBerry Classic Insider Event. The event gave forum members the opportunity to get the scoop on the iconic BlackBerry Classic from BlackBerry insiders.
Providing their BlackBerry insider expertise were:
- Michael Clewley, Director, Handheld Software Product Management
- Michael Dawson, Senior Product Manager
- David Willis, Senior Director, Handheld Product Management
- Sonia Moniz-Bennett, Manager, Platform Product Marketing
There were lots of inquiries during the event, resulting in 38 questions (or suggestions!) and answers. We’ve picked out some interesting highlights.
There were 2 contributing factors to the choice of a non-removable battery:
- It allowed for a larger battery size, while keeping the device slimmer. About 15 percent more battery capacity was available through the use of the non-removable battery at any given thickness, allowing for longer life without the need to either recharge or swap batteries.
- With the trend towards multiple devices (phones, tablets, accessories) we have seen emergence of dedicated external battery packs to replace per-device removable batteries. Users who previously would have purchased additional batteries were tending towards these solutions that can be used across multiple devices (concurrently and/or over time) and that can deliver power without the need for battery replacement and a device restart.
The BlackBerry Classic battery stands up very well against the competition. The BlackBerry Classic contains a sizeable 2515 mAh battery and state of the art power optimization software, which delivers up to 22 hours of battery power (based on mixed use). Plus the power optimization software allows user to boost battery life by up to 15 percent, simply by customizing your Power Saving Profile.
The white BlackBerry Classic is coming to selected markets; keep an eye on Inside BlackBerry Blog for announcements on availability in the next few weeks.
Members also posed some insightful questions that revealed some of the story behind the BlackBerry Classic:
- The BlackBerry Classic does contain Paratek technology and the type of battery used, removable or non-removable doesn’t affect our ability to include this technology.
- The touch sensitive keyboard was considered but with the 4-row keypad, and especially with the availability of a trackpad on Classic it was not included on Classic. There has been good feedback from customers on the touch sensitive keyboard and BlackBerry is considering its inclusion on other products going forward.
Check out the entire event forum here and stay tuned for future BlackBerry Insider events!