If you have ever changed a ringtone or notification on your BlackBerry® smartphone, you know the depth of customization available to you. Beyond the included tones and notifiers, you can use your own ringtones, songs and voice notes as the audible notification for emails, social networking messages, the phone app, individual contacts and more!
Today I’d like to provide a quick rundown of how to customize your profiles on your BlackBerry® 7 OS device. You can also check out the video above which provides a more visual overview.
One thing to keep in mind before we begin is that only the active profile will be configured when you follow the customization steps below. You can view and change the current sound profile by selecting the speaker icon which appears in the top left corner of the Home screen or by selecting the Sounds and Alerts Profile icon on your Home screen. The current active profile is indicated by a checkmark to the right of the profile name.
Changing your Ring Tone, Notifications and Alerts
1. Select the speaker icon that appears in the top left corner of the Home screen or select the Sounds and Alerts profile icon on your Home screen 2. Select “Change Sounds and Alerts” and then “Sounds for Selected Profile”
3. Select a category and then one of the options within
4. Do one of the following:
Choose an existing ring tone or notifier from the list.
Choose “All Music…” and then select a song from the music you have synchronized to the device.
Choose “All Voice Notes…” and select a voice note you have previously recorded.
Choose “All Alerts…” for a list of all alerts currently on the device which you can select from.
5. Press the Menu key and select “Save”.
Set a sound or alert for individual contacts
Before you use this feature, something to note: A BlackBerry smartphone contact alert will always override the current selected profile unless you have the field set to “Active Profile”. What this means is that all other settings in the field that are not “Active Profile” will override your current profile, so if you are using the “Silent” profile and a contact sends you a BBM™ message, your device will still make a sound.
1. Select the speaker icon that appears in the top left corner of the Home screen or select the Sounds and Alerts profile icon on your Home screen 2. Select “Sounds for Contacts” and then “Add Contact Alert” 3. Type a name for the contact alert in the BlackBerry Contact Alert field 4. Type the name of the contact in the Contacts field and select the correct contact from the list 5. Select the type of Alert you want to customize from the Contact Alert Settings
6. Follow steps 4 and 5 from the first section of this post.
Create your Own Sound Profile
Besides the default profiles such as Normal and Loud, you can also create your own Sound Profile.
1. Select the speaker icon that appears in the top left corner of the Home screen or select the Sounds and Alerts profile icon on your Home screen 2. Select “Profile Management” 3. Select “Add Custom Profile” 4. Type a name for your custom profile 5. Customize the new profile the same way as you would a default profile. (see steps at the top of this post)
Do you have a tip for creating, setting and managing profiles on your BlackBerry smartphone? We’d love to hear it – leave a comment below!
functioning of the site, while others are to help us understand how you use it. Read more here about our cookies, and how you can