Bonjour #TeamBlackBerry! For those of you who speak two or more languages: Did you know that you can change your BlackBerry® smartphone’s typing input language on the fly? A friend of mine recently asked me if there was a way to change the typing input language between French and English while composing an email. He explained that his job often requires him to answer emails in both English and French and that he was looking for an efficient way to change input language on their BlackBerry smartphone. My answer was a resounding yes – and here’s how to do it!
Before we begin, something to keep in mind is that if you do not have more than one language installed on your smartphone, the following shortcut will not work because only currently installed languages will appear. For more information on installing languages on your BlackBerry smartphone, see our blog post about how to install additional languages on your BlackBerry smartphone.
Switch Typing Input Language Using Shortcut Keys
1. Hold the Alt key and then press the Enter key 2. Select the desired input language from the listing that appears 3. When prompted to confirm the change of the input method select “Yes”.
Tip: Select the “Do not show this message again” checkbox to remove the confirmation going forward.
Customizing the Input Language Shortcut Keys
You should also know that the shortcut key to change input languages can be changed or disabled. Complete the steps below depending on which version of BlackBerry smartphone OS you are currently using. Not sure which BlackBerry OS you have? Read our blog post on how to identify BlackBerry Device Software versions.
BlackBerry® 7 to 7.1 OS
1. From the Home screen or a folder select “Options” and then “Typing and Language” 2. Select “Language” 3. Under Keyboard Language Switcher, select the desired setting
4. Press the Menu key and select “Save”.
1. From the Home screen or a folder select “Options” and then “Typing and Input” 2. Select “Language” 3. Under Language Switcher, select the desired setting 4. Press the Menu key and select “Save”.
BlackBerry® Device Software 4 to 5
1. From the Home screen or a folder Select “Options” and then “Language and Text Input” 2. In the Input Language Selection Shortcut field select the desired setting. 3. Press the Menu key and select “Save”.
For more information on switching typing input language, take a look at the product documentation for your BlackBerry smartphone at the BlackBerry Manuals and Help page.
Have a question or comment, mes amis? Please leave a comment below.
functioning of the site, while others are to help us understand how you use it. Read more here about our cookies, and how you can