Have you ever run into a situation on your BlackBerry® smartphone where one or more of your Home screen icons disappear? Whenever I can’t find an icon, here are the steps I take to track it down.
Step 1: Check Folders
The first place you should check is the various folders on your BlackBerry smartphone. If you still can’t find a particular icon after checking your folders, the next step would be identifying if the icon is hidden.
Step 2: Checking for Hidden Icons
If you are using a BlackBerry® 6 or BlackBerry® 7 OS smartphone, you can use Universal Search to find hidden icons. If you are not familiar with Universal Search, learn more by reading our blog post on how to use Universal Search. If the missing icon is found using Universal Search, please review the section ‘How to unhide icons’ that can be found below.
To show hidden icons without using Universal Search, use the option of “Show All Icons” when viewing your Home screen. After doing this, any icons you have hidden previously will be dimmed slightly as per the screenshot below.
How to show hidden icons
1. From the Home screen, press the Menu key 2. Do one of the following:
BlackBerry 6 & BlackBerry 7 – Select “Show All Icons”
BlackBerry® Device Software 5.0 and below – Select “Show All”
Note: If the option “Show All Icons” or “Show All” does not appear in the menu after step two, there are no hidden icons on your device.
How to unhide icons
1. Highlight the hidden icon that is dimmed slightly 2. Press the Menu key and select “Unhide Icon”.
Step 3: Check My World for Uninstalled Apps
If you are still unable to locate the icon, the next step is to review the uninstalled apps listing that is available within My World while using the BlackBerry App World™ storefront. After reviewing the list, if you see the app or game you’d like to reinstall, select it and use the Reinstall option that appears in the top right corner of BlackBerry App World to get it back on your smartphone.
1. From the Home screen or within a folder, select “App World” 2. Select My World and using the drop down menu, select “Uninstalled” 3. Select the uninstalled app followed by “Reinstall”.
Step 4: Are You Using Third Party Themes?
Themes are available from BlackBerry App World, and the reason I mention them here is because some themes can move icons when they are enabled. If you are using a different theme on your device, consider switching back to the default BlackBerry smartphone theme.
BlackBerry 6 & BlackBerry 7
1. From the Home screen or within a folder, select “Options” 2. Select “Display” and then “Screen Display” 3. In the Theme section, do one of the following:
Select the “BlackBerry 6” theme
Select the “BlackBerry 7” theme
4. Press the Menu key and Select “Activate”
BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 and below
1. From the Home screen or within a folder select “Options” 2. Select “Theme” followed by your device’s default theme 3. Press the Menu key and select “Save”.
functioning of the site, while others are to help us understand how you use it. Read more here about our cookies, and how you can