When adding new accounts to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, you have the option to have contacts from your email account as well as Facebook®, LinkedIn® and Twitter® social networks consolidated within the Contacts app. By default, the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will link these contacts, so if someone in your address book is on Facebook as well as Twitter, their information is displayed on a single contact card, which makes it easy to see everything you need in one place.
Depending on their information, contacts might not link automatically, so you have the ability to manually link or merge contacts from multiple accounts into a single contact card on your BlackBerry tablet. To unlink a contact, tap on the chain icon to break the link, followed by tapping the save icon that appears in the top right corner.
1. Tap a contact 2. Tap the “Link/Unlink Contact” button 3. Tap “Add Link” 4. Type the contact’s name 5. Tap the “Link Contact” button 6. Tap the “Save” button
2 – Messages Search Filters
Viewing an email from a specific person and need to find out more? Tap on the “Search” button and you’ll be able to quickly search for other messages sent from that person, to a specific person, or other messages with the same subject. You also have the ability to use other search filters such as Unread, Attachments, Flagged, Received, Today, Yesterday and Last Week. When you start typing a search term, you can use these filters to narrow down results as well.
1. Open Messages 2. Tap the “Search” button 3. Tap on a search filter or enter a search term 4. Optionally use multiple filters to narrow search results 5. To exit search, tap on the “Search” icon
3 – Refresh Messages and Folders
Depending on how you have your account set up, you can manually refresh your Messages listing to reconcile changes as well as check for new mail.
1. Open Messages 2. Drag down from the top of the Messages list
(In this example, I placed my finger on the date, “Mon, Feb 27, 2012” followed by dragging down and releasing)
4 – Customize Calendar Views
Very high up on my list of favorite BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 features is the new Calendar app since it offers so many perks that help me manage my day. Use the following tips to view specific calendars as well as pick a different color for your various calendars!
Viewing a specific calendar
1. Open the Calendar app 2. Swipe down from the top bezel 3. Select the desired calendar
1. Open the Calendar app 2. Swipe down from the top bezel 3. Tap “Calendar Preferences” followed by tapping on a calendar 4. When prompted, choose the desired color for the calendar
5 – Messages Multitasking
Constantly referencing a previous email while drafting a new message or responding to a lengthy thread? Here’s an example of how I was able to use the multitasking capabilites offered by my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to switch back and forth between previous emails and the one I was drafting (in addition to using Documents To Go® to reference a spreadsheet I needed).
In case you are curious, you can have up to 10 draft emails on the go at the same time. Something to keep in mind is you should always tap the X in the top left corner while drafting a email to save your progress if you need to close the Messages app and want to continue writing your email later on.
1. Open a message that you need to respond to
Optionally tap on the “View in Full Screen Mode” icon
2. Swipe down from the top bezel to access the Messages app toolbar and tap the “Compose Email” icon to start drafting your email 3. Swipe down from the top bezel again, tap “Messages”, then select the email you need to reference 4. Swipe down from the top bezel one more time and tap on your draft email 5. Repeat this as necessary to access the same reference email or other previously received messages.
Got a question about BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 or maybe a tip you’d like to share? Leave a comment and let me know!
functioning of the site, while others are to help us understand how you use it. Read more here about our cookies, and how you can