Did you know that you can give your BlackBerry 10 device a nickname? With a nickname it’s easy to identify your device on a Wi-Fi network or when sharing content with other devices using Bluetooth, Miracast and more.
For example, if you want to look at some pictures you’ve taken recently on your Smart TV, using the Media Sharing feature, instead of trying to figure out which device is yours by trial and error, set a nickname and it’ll be much easier to identify.🙂
Follow the steps below to set a nickname for your device:
- On the home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen
- Tap Settings followed by About
- In the Device Name field, enter the new name for your device, for example ‘MyQ10‘
- Tap Back when finished to save your nickname
After setting your device nickname, here are a few cool things you can do:
- Media Sharing – Wirelessly share media with Wi-Fi Certified Miracast & DLNA devices such as a Smart TV
- Bluetooth – Pairing with items such as a car kit, or wireless headset, as well as sharing with other devices
- Wi-Fi Sharing – Access your device using a computer so you can copy files to, and from
- Wi-Fi Direct – Sharing lots of files quickly couldn’t be easier using this feature
Note: Some of the links above are from the BlackBerry Leap user guide but will apply to any BlackBerry 10 device using BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.3.1. If you are using another device and would like to view the user guide, visit http://help.blackberry.com or use the Help app on your device.
Got a question? Leave a comment and let me know!