Make sure you check out BlackBerry Work Drives if you use a BlackBerry 10 device that is connected to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10. This free app allows you to securely access, edit and manage content located on enterprise network drives.
For example, instead of using my laptop to access a network drive that contains my draft blog posts, I added the drive to BlackBerry Work Drives to access my content whenever, and wherever I am. Best of all, I can optionally enable offline synchronization of select files and folders by pinning them. When my device is back online, any changes I made will be synchronized back to the network drive.
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need to know to get started with BlackBerry Work Drives!
BlackBerry Work Drives Requirements
You need to be using a BlackBerry 10 device with BlackBerry 10 OS 10.1 or later. To identify which version of the BlackBerry 10 OS you are using on your device, tap Settings followed by About, and review the OS Version field. Check out our post on how to update a BlackBerry 10 device for assistance.
You will also need to make sure that your BlackBerry 10 device is connected to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 with the work space enabled. To verify if you are using BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 or later, contact your administrator for assistance.
You will not be able use BlackBerry Work Drives if you are not using BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, but you can use BlackBerry Link Remote File Access instead. To learn more about this feature, check out the BlackBerry Link website.
How to Install BlackBerry Work Drives
Provided you meet the requirements listed above, install BlackBerry Work Drives using the following steps:
- Open BlackBerry World and do one of the following:
- Tap Search and enter BlackBerry Work Drives (or click the link if you are using a BlackBerry 10 device)
- Or, swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Scan Barcode
- Tap Download
- Tap Open to start using BlackBerry Work Drives
Adding a Work Drive
After installation is complete to set up a network drive, switch to your work space, open the BlackBerry Work Drives app and complete the following steps.
Tip: When entering the network drive location, ensure you are using the following format: //hostname/folder. If you do not know what location to enter, or you are unable to add a network drive, contact your administrator for assistance.
- Open BlackBerry Work Drives and tap Add+
- Complete the following fields:
- Name: Enter a name, i.e. DraftPosts
- Location: Enter a location, i.e. //server/sharedfolder
- Username: Enter your username, i.e. username or domain\username
- Password: Enter your password
- Tap Save
After setting up a network drive, you can access data stored on it using apps on your device such as Adobe Reader, Docs To Go, File Manager and more. Just select the newly added network drive from the selection screen of the app you are using.
Editing and deleting Work Drives
To edit, or remove a work drive that you’ve set up in the past, complete the following steps:
- Open BlackBerry Work Drives
- Touch and hold a work drive and select one of the following:
- To Edit, tap the Properties icon followed by Edit
- To Delete, tap the Delete icon
Pinning files and folders
A new feature offered by BlackBerry Work Drives is the ability to pin files and folders. Pinning a file or folder allows you to access them when your device is offline and, as mentioned earlier, any changes made on your device while offline will be automatically synchronized back to your network drive.
To pin a file or folder, tap and hold the item stored on the network drive followed by selecting Pin from the menu on the right. After doing this, you’ll notice a pin icon appear on the file or folder. This indicates that it is pinned. To remove a pin from a file or folder so it is no longer available offline, tap and hold the item followed by selecting Unpin.
To learn more about BlackBerry Work Drives, check out:
- Learn more about key BlackBerry Work Drives features: Work It with BlackBerry Work Drives on BlackBerry 10
- Learn more about additional BlackBerry Work Drives features BlackBerry Work Drives Update: Access Enterprise Network Drives While Out Of the Office
- BlackBerry Work Drives User Guide
- BlackBerry Work Drives Support Website
To learn about a feature on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone or troubleshoot an issue, there are several great options available to help. Visit http://www.blackberry.com/support for access to product manuals, how-to demos, tips and tricks, YouTube videos, support forums, knowledge base articles, Twitter support, and contact information for your region.