Updating your smartphone software is easy on BlackBerry 10. Here’s a quick overview of how to check for new software versions using your smartphone, or using BlackBerry Link on a PC or Mac.
Whenever you are updating smartphone software, first make a backup of your data using BlackBerry Link. For details on how to back up your smartphone, click on one of the following links based on which version of BlackBerry Link you are currently using.
- BlackBerry Link for Mac OS – Back up your device data
- BlackBerry Link for Windows – Back up your device data
Using a BlackBerry 10 smartphone:
Because BlackBerry 10 software updates can be large files, hop on a Wi-Fi network if possible. This will speed up your download times and save you data costs. Once that’s done, complete the following steps to check for updated software.
- On the home screen, swipe down from the top bezel
- Tap Settings followed by Software Updates
- Tap Check for Updates
- If an update is available, tap Update to start the update process
- When the software update has finished, a restart will be required
Using BlackBerry Link on a PC or Mac:
Complete the following steps to update your BlackBerry 10 smartphone using BlackBerry Link.
Important: Do not disconnect your smartphone during the update process.
- Ensure the computer is connected to the Internet
- Connect the smartphone to the computer using a USB cable
- Launch BlackBerry Link
- In the Settings view in the left pane, click Install Update
- Click the next Install update prompt
- When the software update has finished, your device will restart automatically
For more information on updating a BlackBerry 10 smartphone, or to update via the web, visit http://www.blackberry.com/update and look for the BlackBerry 10 OS heading.
To learn about a feature on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone or troubleshoot an issue, there are several great options available to help. Visit http://www.blackberry.com/support for access to product manuals, how-to demos, tips and tricks, YouTube videos, support forums, knowledge base articles, Twitter support, and contact information for your region.