A BlackBerry ID gives you convenient access to multiple BlackBerry products and services. After you create a BlackBerry ID, you can use your BlackBerry ID email address and password to log in to any BlackBerry product that supports BlackBerry ID.
But what happens though if you change email addresses after creating your BlackBerry ID? For example, I recently changed email providers, so I’d like to share how I went about updating my BlackBerry ID with my new email address on my smartphone as well as my PlayBook tablet using the BlackBerry ID website.
Tip: For those using BlackBerry 7 smartphones or Playbook tablets, you also have the ability to edit your BlackBerry ID details on your device. Details on how to do this can found further below.
Before we begin, if you do not know which version of BlackBerry device software you are currently using, check out our blog post on how to identify BlackBerry device software versions before proceeding.
BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 to BlackBerry 7.1 and BlackBerry PlayBook tablets
1. Visit http://bbid.com using the BlackBerry Browser or your computer
2. Select Sign In and enter your BlackBerry ID username and password followed by selecting Sign In
- Tip: Your username is your email address
3. Select Account Details and next to Details, select Edit
4. Remove the current username (email address) that is displayed and place it with your new username
5. Select Save followed by selecting Done.
BlackBerry 7 and BlackBerry 7.1 only
For those that are using a BlackBerry 7 OS-equipped smartphone, in addition to changing your username using the instructions above on the BlackBerry ID website, you also have the option of changing your information on your device with the Options menu.
To edit your BlackBerry ID information while using a BlackBerry 7 OS smartphone, complete the following steps.
1. While viewing your Home screen, select Options
2. Select Device followed by BlackBerry ID
3. Remove the current Username (email address)
4. Enter the email address you would like to use into the Username field
5. Press the Menu key and select Save.
BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet
To change your username when using a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, complete the following steps:
1. Swipe down from the top bezel or tap the Settings icon.
2. Tap BlackBerry ID.
3. Tap the BlackBerry ID Information pencil icon.
4. Enter the First Name and Last Name. These fields are optional.
5. Enter the Screen Name and BlackBerry ID Username. These fields are required.
6. Tap Submit.
7. Enter the corresponding BlackBerry ID password when prompted and tap OK.
8. Users will receive a confirmation prompt displaying: “Your BlackBerry ID account has been updated.”
Got a question or comment? Leave it below and let us know!