Did you know that you can select a group of photos while viewing them in the Pictures app on a BlackBerry® 6 or BlackBerry® 7 OS smartphone? My wife didn’t until I caught her sending one picture at a time to a friend using email. Check out the first tip today to learn how to select multiple pictures at the same time as well as several other tips to help you get the most out of the Pictures app.
1. Selecting Multiple Pictures
As previously mentioned, you can select multiple pictures at the same time so you can send, delete and move groups of pictures all at once instead of one at a time.
1. Open the Pictures app and browse to a folder
2. Press the Menu key followed by “Select”
- Using a touch screen? Optionally tap and hold a picture instead of using the Menu key
3. Start selecting multiple pictures, and when finished, press the menu key and select a desired option.
2. Sharing Pictures
One of my favorite features is the ability to send photos to my friends and family using a variety of options. Whether it’s through BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™), email, or your favorite social media app, sending pictures from your device is easy.
1. While in the Pictures app, select one or more pictures
2. Press the Menu key followed by “Send”
3. Specify which method you’d like to use to share your pictures.
3. Slide Shows
You can run a slide show displaying pictures you’ve saved to or taken with your BlackBerry smartphone. Here’s how to do it:
1. From the Pictures app, select a folder or multiple pictures
2. Press the Menu key and select “View Slide Show”.
Now that you know how to run a slide show, to customize transition effects and timing, complete the following steps:
1. Open the Pictures app, press the Menu key and select Options
2. Scroll down to the Pictures section and customize the “Slide Show Transitions” and “Slide Show Interval” values
3. When finished, press the Menu key and select “Save”.
4. Back up your photos
When was the last time you backed up the photos you’ve taken with your BlackBerry smartphone? If you still have the photos from your mom’s birthday over a year ago, it’s likely that you’ve waited too long. In the event that your device goes overboard while on a fishing trip, I recommend backing up your photos regularly.
Copying pictures to your computer is easy since you can use your BlackBerry smartphone as a USB drive. If you have never connected your device to a computer or would just like to refresh your memory, check out our blog post Using Your BlackBerry Smartphone as a USB Drive.
5. Assign a caller ID picture
Have you recently taken a picture of a friend or family member? Consider adding that picture to their contact details within the Contacts app. The next time you receive a call from them, their smiling face will let you know who’s calling.
1. While in the Pictures app, select a picture
2. Press the Menu key and select “Assign to Contact”
3. Use the crop function to select how the icon will look
4. When finished, press the Menu key and select “Crop and Save”
5. Select a contact to assign the picture to.
Bonus: Organizing pictures using folders
After a day at the zoo with my family a few weeks ago, I took all the photos I had taken and moved them into a new folder on my smartphone called “Zoo”. I can now easily run a slide show of that day, or when I back up the photos to my computer, they are already organized in their own folder. To create a new folder and then move pictures, complete the following steps:
1. From the Pictures app, select one or multiple pictures
2. Press the Menu key and select “Move to Folder”
3. Select “Add Folder”, enter a name for the folder and select “Ok”
4. Select “Move here” to place the photos into the new folder.
Have a question about the Pictures app? Leave it below and let us know!