BlackBerry® Desktop Software for PC provides the ability to sync your music library, specific songs, favorite playlists or random selections from your iTunes® or Windows Media® Player music library.
Today I’d like to provide a guide on how to use BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC to synchronize music to a BlackBerry® smartphone or BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet. While this post is about using BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC, BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac also has the ability to synchronize your music library to your BlackBerry device. Check out the BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac User Guide to get started.
Before we begin, I’ve created a short checklist of requirements and provided some resources to help get you started:
1. BlackBerry Desktop Software installed on a PC computer
- Download BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC
- BlackBerry 101: Getting Started with BlackBerry Desktop Software
2. Supported multimedia application
- Windows Media Player 10 or later
- iTunes 7.7.1 or later
3. A USB datasync cable
4. Supported music formats
Configuring Device Options
Before you can synchronize music to your BlackBerry device, we need to configure BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC options first:
1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC
2. Connect a BlackBerry device to the computer using a USB cable
3. Within BlackBerry Desktop Software, click “Device” followed by “Device Options”
4. Select the “Media” tab and specify your desired multimedia application
5. Select where the media is to be stored on your smartphone or tablet and adjust the amount of free space to be kept on the device or media card
Note: Don’t have an option in the drop down next to “Store media on”? Do one of the following:
- Ensure your device has internal storage (check the user guide for your BlackBerry device)
- Ensure you have a media card installed in your BlackBerry smartphone
- Note: BlackBerry PlayBook tablets do not have external storage capabilities
6. Select “Ok”.
Synchronize Music to Your BlackBerry Device
With the configuration completed, we can begin selecting music to synchronize to a BlackBerry smartphone or BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.
1. Connect your BlackBerry device to the computer and launch BlackBerry Desktop Software
2. Select “Music” and do one of the following:
- In the drop down list select “Sync All Music”
- Select the Artists, Albums and/or Playlists checkbox to select all of that categories contents
- Select individual Artists, Albums and/or Playlists checkboxes
- Select the “Random Music” button to have the remaining available space on your device filled with music from your media library
3. Select “Sync Music” (circled in red below)
4. Click “Close” when the synchronization is completed.
Have a question or comment about synchronizing music to a BlackBerry device? Leave a comment below and let us know!