With the release of the 4G LTE BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet, you now have the ability to insert a SIM card and connect to a Mobile Network. Doing so allows you to have a network connection whenever you are no longer within range of a Wi-Fi® network, and if you are not using BlackBerry® Bridge™ or the Internet Tethering feature offered by the tablet.
Here’s a quick overview of how to insert a SIM card and set it up so you can start browsing the web using the Mobile Network on your tablet right away.
Inserting a SIM Card
Provided you have a SIM card that is enabled for data services from your wireless provider, remove the SIM card tray that appears on the back of your tablet.
After removing the SIM card tray, place your SIM card into the tray and ensure the corners of the SIM card and the tray line up. Slide the SIM card tray back up until it clicks into place.
Tip: For a video overview on inserting the SIM card, check out the video embedded at the top of this blog post. You also have the option of checking out the BlackBerry PlayBook How To Demo video overview of Inserting a MicroSIM Card.
Configuring Mobile Network Options
To review and specify your Mobile Network options, complete the following steps:
- On the Home screen, swipe down the top frame or tap on the gear icon to access the Options menu
- Tap Mobile Network.
Within this screen you will have the following options available to you:
- Data Services – A toggle switch that allows you to turn on or off data services. In other words, setting this to Off will turn off the Mobile Network connection.
- Data Services while roaming – Controls if data services will be available when roaming. Available options are On, Off & Prompt.
- Network Mode – Change the type of mobile network that your tablet connects to.
- Network Selection Mode – Manually select which mobile network you would connect to.
Tip: For a video overview, check out Connecting to Mobile Network, available on the BlackBerry YouTube® channel. You also have the option of viewing the BlackBerry PlayBook How To Demo video on Connecting to a Mobile Network.
Turning On or Off the Mobile Network connection
After specifying your desired Mobile Network options, you have two ways to turn the Mobile Network connection on and off:
Method #1 – Home screen status bar
- While viewing the Home screen, tap on the Network icon that appears on the status bar
- Your Mobile Network and Wi-Fi network statuses will be displayed
- Toggle either connection to On or Off.
Method #2 – Mobile Network Options
- On the Home screen, swipe down from the to frame or tap on the Gear icon to access the Options Menu
- Tap Mobile Network and set Data Services to Off.
Got a question about the 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook tablet? Leave a comment and let me know!