Learn how to create folders and move icons to organize your BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet
Are you new to using a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet? Do you want to learn how to customize folders and icons on your new device? If you would like to add some organization to your tablet, then stick with me because I’m going to help you get started.
Once small note before we begin: When I mention an “icon” in the post, it can be a folder, a bookmark or the icon for an app or a game unless otherwise stated. Okay, let’s start!
We’ve covered moving an icon before here on the Inside BlackBerry Help Blog, but a little review never hurt anyone, especially if you’re just learning:
- Moving an Icon – Touch and hold the icon until it starts pulsing, then drag the icon to its new location.
- Adding icons to the dock – Touch and hold the icon until it starts pulsing, then drag it to the dock. The dock holds a maximum of six icons. If the dock is full, you will be prompted to create a new folder.
- Deleting an Icon – Touch and hold the icon until it starts pulsing, then tap the trash can that appears in the top left corner of the icon. If you don’t see a trash can, the Icon cannot be deleted.
Note: Deleting an icon will remove the app or game from your tablet. You can optionally re-install the app or game from the My World screen in the BlackBerry App World™ storefront.
Panels are a great way to customize your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. Notice the row of panel indicators in the red box in the following screenshot? This indicates that I currently have four panels on my tablet.
For each new Panel you create, a new panel indicator will appear to represent it. The panel you are currently viewing is solid white to help you keep oriented; in the above image, I am viewing the far left panel.
- Moving an icon to a different Panel – Touch and hold the icon so it starts pulsing, then drag the pulsing icon to the edge of the left or right side of the screen to move it to the desired panel.
- Creating a new Panel – Moving an icon to the right edge of the last Panel will cause a new Panel to be created. Empty panels are removed automatically
Note: New panels can only be created when a pulsing icon is moved to the right edge of the far right panel.
Folders allow you to customize your Home screen by grouping icons, and are created when one icon is dropped onto another icon. Make a folder by performing the following steps:
- From the Home screen, touch and hold an icon until it starts pulsing, then drag it over another icon and release
- Type the name of the folder in the text box that appears and then tap “Create”.
To delete a folder, use the same method as deleting an icon. Any icons inside the folder when deleted will return to the Home screen of your device.
- Touch and hold the folder until it starts pulsing and a trashcan appears
- Tap the trashcan and then “Delete” to confirm folder deletion.
Note: Folders cannot be deleted while positioned on the dock; move the folder to the Home Screen in order to delete it.
How to Rename a Folder
If you need to change the name of a folder, complete the following steps:
- Open the folder
- Touch and hold the current name of the folder
- Enter the new name of the folder and then tap “Rename”.
How to Add or Remove Icons from a Folder
As you continue to add apps and games to your tablet, you will establish an organizational system that works for you. Quite often this will mean moving icons from one folder to another – here’s how it’s done:
Placing an app in a folder
- Touch and hold the app icon until it starts pulsing
- Drag the icon over the folder and release.
To remove an icon from a folder
- Open the folder that contains the icon
- Touch and hold the icon until it starts pulsing
- Drag the icon over the dock and continue to hold it
- The folder will close, and you can then place the icon in its new location on the Home screen, another panel, the dock, or a different folder.
Have a question or a tip for customizing your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet’s Home screen? Leave a comment below!