Happy Friday #TeamBlackBerry! On April 1st 2012, the BlackBerry App World™ storefront celebrates its third birthday, so I’ve put together some tips on BlackBerry App World for your smartphone or BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet. Grab your smartphone or tablet and let’s begin!
1. Sorting and Filtering Items
To help navigate BlackBerry App World on your smartphone, you have the ability to sort and filter items while searching and browsing. I often use these filters to view the most popular free apps from various categories.
1. Open BlackBerry App World on your smartphone
2. Browse a category or search for items
3. To filter items, select “Show All” and select a filter (1st screenshot)
4. To sort items, tap on the sort icon and desired sort order (2nd screenshot)
2. Sharing Items
Have you come across an app, game, theme or ringtone for your smartphone on BlackBerry App World that you think a friend or family member might want to know about? Maybe it’s a new app you just discovered yourself, or one of your favorite items that you think a friend might be interested in.
If so, you can use the sharing feature to let them know about the item so they can use it on their smartphone or tablet. To do this, whenever you are viewing an item, tap on the icons that appear under the “Share” section. For example, on my smartphone I have the option of sharing an item using BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™), Facebook®, Twitter®, Email or Text Message.
Tip: In addition to the Share icons I just mentioned, you can also share an item to several social networks at the same time using the Social Feeds app. To access this option, while viewing an item, press the Menu key and select “Share” followed by “Social Feeds”.
3. Content Controls
Each item on BlackBerry App World is assigned a rating based on the audience that it is intended for. You can filter what content you see in BlackBerry App World and lock your settings using a four-digit password. To set up content controls on your smartphone or tablet, complete the following steps.
1. Open BlackBerry App World and select “My Account”
2. Select “Content Controls” and choose the type of content you would like to appear in BlackBerry App World
3. To lock your setting, select “Lock Setting” and enter a 4-digit password
Note: The four-digit password is only used for BlackBerry App World content controls.
4. Press the Menu key and select “Save”
BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
1. Open BlackBerry App World
2. Swipe down from the top bezel to access the BlackBerry App World menu
3. Select “Content Settings” and specify which type of content you would like to appear in BlackBerry App World
4. Tap the “Lock” switch and enter a 4-digit password to save your changes
- Note: The four-digit password is only used for BlackBerry App World content controls
Tip: Want to learn more about content controls? Check out Alex’s post to find out more – New BlackBerry App World content ratings improve discovery and safety.
4. Submitting a Review on BlackBerry App World
Purchased a new game that you love, or maybe a theme for your smartphone that’s become a new favorite? Let other BlackBerry smartphone owners know by submitting a review of it. To post a review, launch BlackBerry App World on your smartphone and select “My World”. Highlight the item you’d like to review, press the Menu key and select “Add Review”. After entering your review, select “Submit Review”.
When leaving a review, your BlackBerry ID screen name will be displayed alongside your comments. To customize your BlackBerry ID screen name, log in and customize your account details at the BlackBerry ID website.
You can also edit your account details on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or a BlackBerry® 7-enabled smartphone using the following steps.
1. On the Home screen, select “Setup”
2. Select “BlackBerry ID”
BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
1. Viewing the Home screen, swipe down from the top bezel to access the tablet settings
2. Select “BlackBerry ID”
5. Switching Devices
While this isn’t really a tip, this is very useful information if you plan on upgrading to a different BlackBerry smartphone! Simply put, BlackBerry App World allows you to re-install items you bought on up to four additional devices each year without paying for the items again.
For example, at the moment I’m using a BlackBerry® Bold™ 9700 smartphone, but I’m upgrading to a BlackBerry® Torch™ 9810. Since I am moving to a BlackBerry 7-enabled smartphone, as soon as I start it up for the first time, I’ll be asked for my BlackBerry ID login information.
After doing this, all I need to do is open BlackBerry App World and select “My World”, and I’ll be asked if I want to switch devices. After saying yes to this message, all of my paid and free items that are compatible with my new smartphone can be downloaded.
Note: If you are switching to a BlackBerry smartphone with BlackBerry® Device Software 4.0 to 6.0, open BlackBerry App World and select “My World”, which will then ask for your BlackBerry ID login details.
Bonus: For a list of countries that support BlackBerry App World, check out the BlackBerry App World Availability website.
Got a question about BlackBerry App World, or maybe a tip you’d like to share? If so, leave a comment and let us know as we’d love to hear from you!