A great feature built into BlackBerry® smartphones is the ability to highlight, cut, copy and paste text. Today I’ll be providing an overview of how to accomplish this on any BlackBerry smartphone. You may even find some alternative methods for editing your text!
By using the steps below, manipulating text is actually quite easy. The key thing to keep in mind is that depending on what type of BlackBerry smartphone you are using, the steps to highlight, cut, copy and paste text may be different. For more information on a specific BlackBerry smartphone, visit http://docs.blackberry.com to obtain your User Guide.
Grab your BlackBerry smartphone and let’s get started:
For those with a BlackBerry smartphone that has a trackpad, such as the BlackBerry® Bold™ 9700 smartphone, complete the following steps to edit text:
1. Press and hold the (Shift) key
- To highlight text character by character, on the trackpad/trackball/trackwheel, slide your finger left or right.
- To highlight text line by line, on the trackpad/trackball/trackwheel, slide your finger up or down.
2. Press the (Menu) key.
3. Select Cut or Copy.
4. Press the (Menu) key and select Paste.
For those with a BlackBerry smartphone that uses a touch screen only, such as the BlackBerry® Torch™ 9850 smartphone, complete the following steps.
1. To highlight text, touch the beginning and the end of the text you’d like to manipulate at the same time.
2. To adjust the highlighted text, slide the cursor frame.
3. Press the (Menu) key.
4. Click Cut or Copy.
5. Place the cursor where you want to insert the cut or copied text.
6. Press the (Menu) key.
7. Click Paste.
In addition to the steps above, the following graphic will help you understand how to edit text when using a touch screen enabled BlackBerry smartphone:
If you a using a BlackBerry® 7 OS smartphone, you can watch another tutorial video on how to edit text by opening the Setup app and selecting Tutorials. There you’ll be able to view a tutorial on Editing Text.
Got a question about highlighting, cutting, copying and pasting text? Leave a comment and let me know!