Happy Friday #TeamBlackBerry! Since the new BlackBerry® 7 smartphones based on the BlackBerry® 7 OS are now available, here are five tips that every BlackBerry 7 smartphone user should know!
1. Add Music, Pictures and Videos to the Home Screen
On top of being able to add a shortcut on your home screen to get quick access to websites, contacts and files, you also have the ability to add shortcuts to music, pictures and videos. For example, you can create a new folder on your home screen and add some of your favorite albums or playlists. Before we start, add a new folder – while on the home screen, press the Menu key and select Add Folder.
1. Browse to a website, or highlight the item (i.e. Playlist) that you want to create a shortcut for.
2. Press the Menu key and select Add to Home Screen.
- To change the name of the shortcut, type a new name.
- To change the location where the shortcut appears, change the Location field.
- To add the shortcut to your Favorites panel, select the Mark as Favorite checkbox.
3. Click Add.
2. Add to Existing Contacts
Keeping contact information up to date is a lot easier in BlackBerry 7 OS than the previous OS, thanks to the ability to add contact information to existing contacts. To change a contact using information on your BlackBerry® smartphone – such as information in an email or a calendar entry – highlight the information you want to add to a contact and complete the following steps:
1. Press the Menu key and select Add to Contacts.
2. Select Add to Existing Contact.
3. Select the contact.
4. Review the changes followed by pressing the Menu key and selecting Save.
3. Manage Home Screen Panels
Control whether or not panels are used on the BlackBerry 7 OS home screen.
1. On the home screen, press the Menu key and select Manage Panels.
2. Select or clear the checkbox for each panel.
3. Press the Menu key and select Save.
4. Turn on or turn off audio and video shortcuts
You most likely have discovered these shortcuts already, but if you haven’t, when you’re playing back audio or video, the BlackBerry smartphone uses the Volume and Mute keys as shortcuts to play, pause and skip. In the BlackBerry 7 OS, you now have the option to disable this feature if desired.
1. On the home screen, select Media.
2. Press the Menu key and select Media Options.
3. Toggle the Allow Mute and Volume keys to control play, pause, and skip checkbox.
4. Press the Menu key and select Save.
5. Add Custom Search Engines to the Browser
Find yourself searching a specific website such as knowledge base a lot? Why not add it as a custom search engine so you can search against it by default using the Manage Search Engines feature available in BlackBerry 7.
If the website you are browsing supports this feature (such as this blog, for example) you can add it to your search engines list by pressing the Menu key. If supported, the Add Search Engine option will also appear and specify the search engine(s) you can add.
If the website you are browsing doesn’t support this feature, you may be able to add it manually. Using the search box that appears in the top right corner of this blog, for example, complete the following steps:
1. Enter a search term, i.e. test and perform a search.
2. Copy the URL that appears from the Browser address bar.
3. Press the Menu key and select Options.
4. Select Manage Search Engines.
5. Select New Search Engine.
6. Enter the name of the search engine.
7. Paste the URL you copied earlier (http://helpblog.blackberry.com/?s=Test).
8. Replace Test with %s (http://helpblog.blackberry.com/?s=%s).
9. Press the Menu key and select Save.
10. Tap on the new Search Engine to make it default.
11. Type a search term in the Browser address bar and verify it works.
12. For example, I searched for “Five Tip Friday” and the following search results are now displayed.
If you have a tip you’d like to share about BlackBerry 7 OS, make sure you leave a comment and let everyone know! Don’t forget to check out the user guide for your BlackBerry smartphone to learn more.