BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™) allows you to communicate quickly with your friends. And thanks to message indicators on BBM that let you know when your message has been sent, delivered and read by your friends, there are no worries about getting your message across!
Getting started on BlackBerry Messenger
First, find the BBM icon on the ‘all’ window of the home screen.
- The first thing you will be asked for is a display name. This is the name that other people will see you as in their contact list.
- You will then be asked to associate your BlackBerry Messenger account with your own contact in your address book. If you don’t already have one set up to choose from, you can create one easily.
You’re now ready to get started with BBM.
BBM is a tool to help keep you connected with your inner circle, so it’s by invitation only. Here’s how to invite contacts into your BBM list:
- To invite a contact click ‘invite contact’ under the contacts section on the main BBM screen
- You can invite a contact to your BBM list in one of three ways:
* Inputting their PIN or Email account
* By text message
* By scanning their barcode
Note: you can find your own PIN barcode in your BBM contact profile. From the main BBM screen, you can press the ‘menu key’ and select ‘view my profile’ and choose to show your PIN Barcode.
Now that you’ve got contacts in your contact list, you can start communicating with them using BBM.
- To start a conversation, simply click on a contact and compose your message. Pressing the return/enter key will send the message.
- When the message is sent, you’ll see a checkmark appear next to your message. When that message is delivered to the recipient’s BlackBerry® smartphone, that check mark will appear with a ‘D’ next to it. And when the message is read on the other end the ‘D’ will be replaced with an ‘R’
- To end a conversation, you can press the menu key and select ‘End chat’
Chatting with multiple contacts
BBM also lets you chat with multiple people at once, just like a chat room.
- Once you’ve started a chat with one person, you can add additional contacts by pressing the menu key and selecting ‘Invite others’. You are then presented with your BBM contact list to select additional participants.
You can use BBM to share files with your BBM contacts quickly and easily.
- While in a chat, click on the paperclip icon to bring up a menu which lets you select the file type you would like to share. Selecting a picture for example will take you to the album list in the Pictures application.
- Once you have selected an image from an album, you are able to add a comment before sending. As soon as the recipient accepts the transfer on their end, the picture will be sent.
BlackBerry Groups lets you set up forums with other BlackBerry Messenger contacts, which allows you to share pictures, voice notes, calendars and task lists — kind of like a message board! The group even has its own icon that you can put on your home screen for easy access.
- Selecting ‘create new group’ from the BlackBerry Groups section of the home screen brings you to a page where you can specify information about the group you want to create, like giving it a name, selecting an icon, and so on.
- Once you’ve created the group, click the ‘Invite new member’ icon in the bottom left hand corner of the group’s main screen. You can then select an existing BlackBerry Messenger contact or add a new one.
- As soon as that person accepts your group request, you’ll be able to interact with them within the group!
Do you love BlackBerry Messenger? What are some of your favorite BBM features?